Friday, June 3, 2011

Signs of Summer

Happy Friday, my friends! I am happy to report that there haven't been anymore mouse sightings this week! They must have packed their bags. We DID find out what they had been eating in the basement, and let me tell you they were NOT following a very healthy food pyramid! They ate a package of those unnaturally orange cheese crackers with peanut butter in the middle, some popcorn and an ENTIRE sleeve of Girl Scout thin mint cookies!! Junk food junkies! (They are probably saying the same thing about us!) ☺

So, I was noticing this week that even if I didn't check the calendar, I would know that summer is right around the corner just by some changes around the house. I realized that the amount of laundry has gone from "hugely crazy" to "somewhat sane". The reason? No jeans, the kids are wearing shorts! And Lulu and I haven't worn socks for awhile...just flip-flops, baby! Can I just explain my extreme LOVE of flip-flops? They make me shiver with excitement, it reminds me of when I played Barbies when I was young and Barbie had a different pair of shoes for every outfit, I can afford to do that with flip-flops! You can't have too many!

Here are some more signs of summer around our house...

The sunscreen caddy has found it's "summer spot" on the stool next to the door. The caddy is the silverware holder from my old dishwasher. It holds sunscreen, bug spray, lip balm, hair elastics and hand sanitizer. We stick the phone in there too and take the whole thing outside on the deck.


There are swim suits and towels drying in the bathroom...





There is nail polish sitting on the bathroom counter 'cause we've been beautifying our toes!

There are flip-flops on the deck...

Our plants are growing...


There are flowers on the deck...
Three cheers for summer, you are my favorite season!!
Here is a summer salad recipe. This salad is perfect to bring to a picnic or potluck because it doesn't have mayonnaise in it and it is different, a change of pace from potato and macaroni salad. There are lots of recipes out there but this is the one I make and we think it's yummy. It was the best thing we ate this week!

Asian Summer Slaw

2 packages Oriental flavor Ramen noodles- uncooked (save 1 flavor packet)
1 package broccoli slaw or regular cabbage slaw
sliced scallions (to taste)
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium soy sauce)

The night or day before:  Break up the noodles, I put them in a zip lock bag and use a rolling pin. Mix the dry noodles with the liquids (vinegar, water, oil and soy sauce), sugar and one of the flavor packets that comes with the noodles. Refrigerate overnight.
The next day: The liquid will be absorbed and the noodles softened. Add the broccoli or cabbage slaw, scallion, sunflower seeds and almonds. Mix well. Enjoy!
I have tripled the recipe for a big crowd and I used 2 bags of broccoli slaw and one of cabbage. When I made it this week I just used cabbage. It doesn't look as pretty because it's missing the "green" you get from the broccoli but it still tastes great!



5 comments:

  1. ummm...is that a tiny little view of the pool behind the your flowers?!?! yay! summer is here when the mayor's pool is open...ummm...can you make us some asian summer slaw to eat while we float in the pool for craft night? yummy.
    ♥J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading more of your posts and discovering additional insights and inspirations. As we continue to enjoy the magic of summer, it's comforting to know that brands like birdy grey return policy prioritize customer satisfaction with their return policy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you again for your lovely blog post. Wishing you a summer filled with joy, warmth, and delightful moments! Your words beautifully depict the wonders of summer, and it's evident that you have a keen eye for capturing its magic.
    bob's discount furniture recliners

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about the "Signs of Summer" in your blog post. It's a reminder that just like pondering "How Old Is Dolores in Encanto," summer brings its own set of wonders and mysteries. Thanks for capturing the essence of this delightful season!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us comments because it makes us feel all fuzzy inside.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails